5 Tips For Trying Cannabis For The First Time
Maybe you’re interested in trying cannabis for the first time because you’re interested in the medicinal benefits, or you want to experience the “high” for recreational purposes. Whatever the reason, it’s vital that you go into your first experience with a clear idea of what you’re doing and how to do it safely.
Trying cannabis for the first time can be a little daunting. There are many strains and products to choose from, and it’s hard to know what will work best for you.
How do you know if you should try smoking, vaping, edibles, or topicals if you’ve never tried cannabis before? And what dosage should you start with?
That’s why we’ve put together this list of five tips to help you get the most out of your first cannabis experience.
1. Start low and go slow.
When it comes to cannabis, less is often more. Especially if you’re new to the substance, starting with a small dose and seeing how your body reacts is essential. You can always take more later, but you can’t take less once you’ve already consumed too much. Ask your budtender what a safe, small starting dose would be for the product you’re interested in trying.
2. Know your strains.
There are three main types of cannabis strains: indica, Sativa, and hybrid. Indica strains are known for their relaxation properties, while Sativas are more energizing. Hybrids are a mix of the two. Not sure which one is right for you? Our budtenders would be happy to help you choose the perfect strain for your needs.
Shop our cannabis products online or in our Wilton, Maine store to see our various available strains. If you want to smoke, we suggest our popular Apple Fritter Flower. If you’re not comfortable rolling your own joints, we also have pre-rolls available. Shop our Cookie Monstah preroll.
3. Consider different methods of consumption.
You can consume cannabis in many ways, including smoking, vaping, edibles, topicals, and tinctures. Each method has its own benefits and drawbacks, so it’s worth trying out a few different ones to see what works best for you.
Here are some things to consider when deciding which method works best for you:
- Smoking: Smoking is the most common way of consuming cannabis. It’s also the fastest-acting method, with effects typically lasting 1-2 hours. The downside to smoking is that it can be harsh on your lungs.
- Vaping: Vaping is a popular alternative to smoking because it’s less harsh on your lungs. Vaping also allows you to control your dosage more precisely than smoking. However, it can be more expensive since you need to buy a vaporizer in addition to your cannabis.
- Edibles: Edibles are a popular choice for those who don’t want to smoke or vape. They can take a little longer to kick in (30 minutes to 2 hours), but the effects can last 4-6 hours. The downside is that it can be easy to overdo it with edibles since they’re often very potent. Start with a low dose (5-10mg) and see how you feel before taking more.
- Topicals: Topicals are cannabis-infused creams, lotions, and oils applied directly to the skin. They’re a good choice for those who want the localized effects of cannabis without any psychoactive effects. However, they can be messy and difficult to apply evenly.
- Tinctures: Tinctures are cannabis-infused liquids that are taken orally using a dropper. They’re a popular choice for those who want the versatility of being able to take their cannabis anywhere. You can easily add tinctures to food and drinks. However, they can have a strong taste that some people find unpleasant.
4. Be prepared for the side effects.
Cannabis can cause short-term side effects like dry mouth, dizziness, and impaired coordination. These effects usually disappear after a few hours, but they can be uncomfortable in the meantime. Make sure you have some water and snacks on hand to stay hydrated and comfortable until the effects wear off.
We also suggest finding a comfortable, safe setting and, if you’re going to partake with others, make sure they are people you trust and feel comfortable around. Cannabis can cause anxiety and paranoia in some people, so it’s important to be in a safe, familiar environment where you feel relaxed. You want to have an enjoyable and positive experience, so make sure you’re prepared before you start using cannabis.
5. Keep an open mind.
Don’t go into your first cannabis experience with any preconceived notions about what it will be like. Everyone experiences cannabis differently, so don’t be disappointed if it’s not exactly what you were expecting. Just relax and enjoy the ride!
We hope these tips will help you enjoy your first cannabis experience to the fullest! Remember to start low and slow, know your strains, try different methods of consumption, be prepared for the side effects, and keep an open mind—and above all else, relax and have fun!
If you have questions or need help choosing a product, our budtenders at The Honeycomb Farm are always happy to assist. Stop by our store in Wilton, Maine, today!
Visit us at:
844 Us Route 2